Saturday, November 5, 2011

Wadi

wadi: valley
Yesterday I went to a wadi with my host family! It was either called Wadi Fenja or Wadi Khoud; I was told both by multiple people. It also might be that they intersect and I actually did go to both. No matter. 
After the rains, people flock to the wadis. They fill with water (runoff from the mountains) and therefore are a fairly pleasant picnicking environment, provided that you can find some shade. Not to mention that it's wicked fun to drive your 4-wheel drive through gravel covered with 2-4 feet of water. 


Sometimes, the water is deeper than it seems and people get stuck... like this dude near where we stopped. 


So this guy came along to get him unstuck...



Then, for some reason, this guy drove right through the middle, very successfully tangling his wheels in the rope. 

Finally the car got unstuck, but not before there were literally 30 cars there waiting, each with 1-4 men in them. Wadi bashing is, for the most part, a male-dominated pastime. 

 And then an Omani's favorite pastime!! Barbecue! And feeding exchange students! Whenever I go places I am fed a lot... Arab hospitality sure is wonderful!



And then it was time to go home! A very fun day, nonetheless a tiring and busy one!

I would also like to apologize for my awful English... Unfortunately that's not doing so well right now!

Eid Mubarak, everyone!

No comments:

Post a Comment