Wednesday, March 7, 2012

Middle Eastern History Class...

...is really awesome. 

We take it one day a week after school, and basically it is the funnest (yes I know it isn't a word) class I have ever had. Basically, the YESers get together and we have group discussions about Middle Eastern History in fun and creative ways. Here I will try to extol the fabulousness of this class.

Today, we were discussing the Iranian revolution. We had all read the chapter and, upon arrival, we were given a sheet of paper and told to write down ten questions regarding the chapter. Then, we went bowling. Middle Eastern History bowling is by far a nerd's dream come true, provided that said nerd likes to bowl. How the game worked was that we would bowl and then we would draw a question. If we answered it correctly, we got the points. If we didn't, we were subtracted that many points. This is fairly difficult if you're like me and can't bowl to save your life, but that's a moot point. It was outrageously fun! 

We also have speakers come to our class. We had a guy come to talk to us about the Jewel of Muscat, a reconstructed traditional dhow that sailed from Oman to Singapore. What made this so interesting is that he was actually on the Jewel as it sailed, so he was able to tell us things no one else would be able to. More recently, a man came to talk to us about interfaith relations, which was quite enlightening. Furthermore, he recommended a book that I downloaded onto my Kindle, called Who Speaks for Islam?, which is a book based on a Gallup Poll, actually 100,000 hour long interviews in 32 countries around the world, that essentially spells out what average Muslims think. I'm not finished yet, but I would highly recommend it to anyone who wants to learn more than what is portrayed by the media. 

And the most important thing is that we have all learned just an incredible amount of history! 

That's all of my ramblings for now, folks. If there's anything you want me to write about, just let me know! 

No comments:

Post a Comment