Tuesday, December 18, 2012

Six Months Later


Six months ago today, I got on an airplane from my home to come home.

Since I returned, everything has changed and everything is the same. When I left Oman, I was positive that I would spend my senior year hiding away, just biding my time until I could go off to college. I was determined to have a miserable time, to scrape by until I could go on to bigger and better things. Somehow, the opposite has happened. This year, I've developed relationships with my friends in Beloit that shock me by their depth. I was told that I would probably not relate with my old friends, but that has been entirely inaccurate.

I didn't plan for any of this to happen. But it did. This reminds me of my whole year abroad, the shock at the emotions, the joy and sorrow and stress. Oman was entirely unprecedented, but so has been my senior year. I came home expecting solitude, and have found incredible friendship, and with one special person, even romance. My return has shocked me in how absolutely wonderful it has been. I've found that my friends--old and new--are just like me. I had many of them over just a few nights ago for a night of heavy drinking--of tea, that is! My Senior year is thus far a roaring success socially. I'm still excited for college, but I'm also just loving my life in the moment. 

That's not to say that I don't miss Oman. It's on my mind constantly, and the lessons I've learned from it are continually with me. Some days there is nothing I want to do more than cry over the loss of my parallel life, that is continually slipping away from me. I'm losing my Arabic skills rapidly, I've lost the 30 pounds of excess "love" that I gained, and I find that the pain I feel over missing everything is less acute. It still hits in waves, but they rarely come.

I feel like I've reached a point in this readjustment process in which I can merge my Omani life with my American one. I wore my jalabiyya for one of my senior pictures and had an Eid party this fall. Little strands of my Omani life are most certainly still a part of who I am now. 

I will never forget, but it's my time to move on.

Salaam,

Emma

12 comments:

  1. Enjoy being back home and regaining all those all friendships, as much as I love Oman I grieve for the relationships of friends back "home" in the UK.
    Take care :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. The year spent abroad for sure influenced your life but the family is the family. Enjoy your time back home! :-) and keep writing.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Amazing experience! I don't belive! Very nice!

    http://ocinematografo.blogspot.com.br/

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love your blog, and all your travels

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love to read blogs and also travel all over the world and last time I have visited Oman-Muscat and it was a great experience.

    ReplyDelete
  6. So great to spend one year abroad. I am french and it is not a part of our culture to send young students abroad, but I really think that it is a great experience that will influence your future way of life and thinking.
    I knwon Oman very well and I am sure that you will keep these memories' travel deep in you.

    ReplyDelete
  7. One of the objectives of Santa Monica Canada Migration is to welcome skilled newcomers who will contribute to Canada's growing economy.  Skilled workers that settle in Canada on a permanent basis are especially valuable to the Canadian workforce. Over the years Santa Monica Canada Migration Program planning numbers have fluctuated according to the priorities and economic and political considerations of the government of the day.Santa Monica Canada Migration  serves as the foundation for continued economic growth and which brings people, customs and traditions, rituals and culture to the forefront of current Government policy.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I am from Oman
    To contact with me
    Cleverrr@hotmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi Emma. I've been reading your blogs. And i think they are beautiful. I would like to connect to you more. I also have my own blog about my exchange year. I hope you can take time to read them and comment on what you think. I am Hamida from Philippines. :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hi Emma. I've been reading your blogs. And i think they are beautiful. I would like to connect to you more. I also have my own blog about my exchange year. I hope you can take time to read them and comment on what you think. I am Hamida from Philippines. :) http://year-in-life.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete